A Drummer's DreamDocumentary
A rare and unique assembly of some of the greatest drummers in the world. Explosive talent, passion, humour and irresistible personality come together in a magical setting when seven diverse drummers create a profound and unforgettable experience with forty students.
- FIPA D’OR – Grand Prize Performing Arts – Biarritz, France
- Hot Docs International Documentary Festival – Top Ten Audience Award
- Writer/Director: John Walker
- Cinematographer: Kent Mason and Nigel Markham
- Editor: Jeff Warren
- Sound: Alex Salter
- Music: Nasyr Abdul Al-Khabyyr, Mike Mangini, Horacio “El Negro” Hernandez and Giovanni Hidalgo, Raul Rekow, Dennis Chambers, Kenwood Dennard
- Narrator: John Walker
- Producers: John Walker, Kent Martin
- Co-Producer: National Film Board of Canada
- Production Company: John Walker Productions Ltd.
Globe and Mail on A Drummer's Dream/ Globe and Mail
"These are drummers’ drummers who have backed-up jazz and rock giants like Dizzy Gillespie and Carlos Santana. Non-drummers watching the film will be blown over by the joy in their virtuoso playing."
MacLean's on A Drummer's Dream/ MacLean's
"Music takes on therapeutic overtones…where a dream team of percussionists conduct inspirational workshops."
Now Magazine on A Drummer's Dream/ Now Magazine
"Who knew that Ontario cottage country hosts a camp that features some of the world’s top percussion talent?"
Black Hat Media on A Drummer's Dream/ Black Hat Media
"A Drummers Dream provides a glimpse into the ultimate music camp that blew the roof off a barn on Ontario’s cottage country….This was drummers heaven."
54 sec | Horacio ‘El Negro’ Hernandez talking about the inspiration of his Cuban grandfather’s music and his playing the drums.
51 sec | Kenwood Dennard playing the drums and talking about his philosophy of why he loves to play.
54 sec | End of the drum camp, all of the drummers jamming.